4 Ways to Act Now
Here are 4 ways you can take action toward U.S. respect for Gayogo̱hó:nǫ⁷ self-determination and heeding of the removal of Halftown as a representative of Cayuga Nation. Click the triangles for more detail about each.
1. Learn and spread awareness
2. Boost fundraisers
- Share this recent article covering the situation.
- Use and follow #HalftownMustGo and #BidenMeetTheSachems on social media.
- Use your community spaces or events to help spread information. You can do this by printing and distributing materials or by inviting HalftownMustGo organizers and/or Gayogo̱hó:nǫ⁷ people to speak and spread info at events you're hosting.
- Help distribute and display HalftownMustGo pins, t-shirts, or yard signs. Put in a bulk order request to help distribute these in your community.
3. Get your local representatives to send a letter to 'higher-up' officials
If you are organizing your own fundraiser within your community, please contribute any consolidated funds collected to one of the above fundraisers, rather than starting a new online platform for collecting funds.
4. Reach out to HalftownMustGo@proton.me if you or your organization can offer...
Use this letter from Tompkins County Legislators as a template.
Are you in New York state? If so, it is especially important for you and your local government to help pressure our senators.
Are you in the United States? This is a nation-to-nation issue, so it's relevant for anyone across the country. Biden is breaking treaties by neglecting to meet with the Sachems.
- Connections with Indigenous media outlets or journalists, or journalists with a record of care-full reporting on Indigenous stories
- Capacity to help plan events in your area related to this issue
- Capacity to be or become a legal observer or medic who can be present sometimes in Seneca Falls (we can connect you with trainings)
- Other tools or trained people whose skills may be useful in situations that involve confronting state-sanctioned/colonial violence